Follow Us on Social Media

MUSANGI to get only 33 per cent of budget allocation in Kitui

The Speaker George Ndotto-led County Assembly of Kitui unanimously passed this year’s budget estimates during an afternoon session yesterday afternoon.

Kitui Budget and Appropriations Committee Chair Boniface Kasina during  a past Assembly Session. Photo/COURTESY

Budget and Appropriations Committee chairperson and Tseikuru MCA Boniface Kasina moved the motion that was seconded by Mary Ndumbu, a nominated Member of County Assembly.

Mwingi Times has obtained a copy of the budget estimates of Sh12.5Billion budget.

Most of resources available will go to recurrent expenditure. Only 33 per cent of county revenue have been allocated to development projects. The rest (67 per cent) will go to recurrent spending such as payment of salaries and other bills.

Of the Sh12,449,775.275 budget passed by the August House, the department of health and sanitation has been allocated Sh427Million. This will cater for maternal and child health and other health services in Kitui.

Governor Ngilu has in the past found herself locked in showdown with MCAs over budget stalemates. Kitui County Assembly passed a Sh10.2Billion bill on June 30, 2020 but the county could not spend the money without an approved Appropriation Bill 2020.

Kitui Finance CECM Ben Katungi failed to appear before the Assembly to discuss the matter in depth.

“Following the approval of the budget for 2020/21, the assembly officially wrote to the CECM for Treasury to prepare County Appropriation Bill as required of him by the PFM Act which has not been received”, said the Budget committee chairman.



No comments

Post a Comment

© all rights reserved
made with by Skitsoft