Follow Us on Social Media

Tension as Mutua and Mulyungi supporters fight in Mwingi police station

Tension as Mutua and Mulyungi supporters fight in Mwingi police station

Mr Eric Mutua
An ugly situation rocked a police station on Saturday October 22 after two opposing camps of the Mwingi Central parliamentary aspirants stormed the facility prompting chaos.

Dr Gideon Mulyungi
Mwingi police station turned into a flurry of political storm when supporters of former Law Society of Kenya (LSK) boss Eric Mutua and those of former Ministry of Works Permanent Secretary Gideon Mulyungi thronged into the station in turns from 11am to 6pm.
The drama unfolded after Mr Mutua accompanied by his close allies and supporters arrived at the station in the mid morning to record a statement after his campaign convoy was allegedly attacked by a group of Dr Mulyungi’s supporters at Maai area in Mwingi East sub-county as he returned to Mwingi town from a meet the people tour on Friday night.
“Two of my supporters were physically assaulted by his (Dr Mulyungi’s) people after they blocked our convoy at a bridge near Nguni,” Mr Mutua told journalists after recording the statement.
He claimed that his life was in danger following the incident as two police officers present at the scene watched as his supporters were roughed up without taking an action. “The fact that the police had offered security to Mr Mulyungi clearly indicates that they have been compromised,” Mr Mutua lamented.
But moments after the former LSK chairman had left the police station; Mr Mulyungi stormed in to record a statement over the same incident claiming that his supporters were the ones who had been attacked.  
He accused his opponent of using “violence and unwarranted accusations” against his camp.
Mwingi Central MCA Bernard Sila, a close relative and supporter of Mr Mulyungi was roughed up by police as he tried to force his way into the station. Chaos had ensued between the MCA and Mr Mutua’s supporters outside the station and police were prompted to intervene to bar the conflicting groups from trying to gain entry into the police station.
At one time the police officers had to arm themselves with sticks and teargas canisters to scare away supporters of the two Wiper party hopefuls who had already began attacking each other physically as they surged into the police station.
Mwingi Central police boss Gerald Barasa who was present as the drama went on declined to comment on the matter.  




No comments

Post a Comment

© all rights reserved
made with by Skitsoft